MarinTrust Version 3.0 Standard & Terms of Reference now out for consultation
Mike Platt and Alex Caveen are delighted to be playing a lead role in the development of this new Standard and the new Terms of Reference which are now out for consultation.
In order to maintain the credibility and relevancy of the Standard, the MarinTrust Governing Body Committee has ratified a proposal to review and enhance the programme through the development of ‘Version 3.0’.
The Terms of Reference for its development are ready for Public Consultation and comments can be sent to email@example.com or via the website for a period of 30 days beginning 12 November 2020.
The current MarinTrust standard (Version 2.0) has over 150 certified factories utilising over 15 approved whole fish fisheries and over 100 approved by-product fish species.
The MarinTrust certification process includes the fishery assessment (sourcing of marine raw materials), and the factory audit (processing of raw materials). The development of Version 3.0 includes a thorough review of all these key stages, including:
– strengthening the MarinTrust Fisheries Assessment Criteria for raw materials (whole fish and by-products) used for the production of compliant marine ingredients
– providing an increased assurance to the traceability and integrity of MarinTrust products
– taking into consideration good manufacturing practices for production that is intended for human consumption
– assessing the environmental impact of the marine ingredients manufacturing process
– creating improved social and welfare benefits for all workers employed within the marine ingredients manufacturing sector
– evaluating extending the scope to include human rights criteria for vessels supplying whole fish to the marine ingredients manufacturing sector.
RS Standards are delighted to be part of this Standard review and will be playing a lead consultancy role in developing the new factory Standard and fishery approval process.